Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Aqargiq-Ptarmigan in Inupiaq

Well stocked but pricey store (no produce today)

John Richel traveling nurse preparing TB tests for the kids (they get stickers after the shot)




Inupiaq class, moose = tuttuvak



Another great day in Noorvik. I divided my time between the Inupiaq teacher and the elementary classes.

I was excited to find nearly a dozen books for different age readers in Inupiaq and the lessons for the younger kids involved many songs (even the Barny song) in Inupiaq.

I started my lessons on nutrion for health class and built some very simple soda can calorimeters. I found more than enough soda cans around the school. More on that later.

Tumi and I also did a little native dancing with the kids. The video might end up as good black mail material.

We also lucked in to the monthly City Council meeting and as the old saying goes we got to see the sausage of being made.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Sam for your comments. Cool photos. We are reading along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great time. Enjoy your stay and soak in as much culture as you can. Great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a lot of fun and I would agree that it's wonderful the kids are learning their native language. It's invaluable, and loosing the language would be awful. Did they teach you some words?

    ReplyDelete